SPEC Waste Coordinator
Hours per week: 6 hrs/week
Pay per hour: $18-22 depending on experience
Contract Duration: August 13 2013 – Dec. 27 2013 with potential to continue
Work Location: Kitsilano with some travel within and around Vancouver
Founded in 1969, The Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC) is a non-profit charitable organization that addresses environmental issues in British Columbia, with a particular focus on urban communities. Visit the website at http://www.spec.bc.ca for more information on SPEC’s waste programs and initiatives, and all of its environmental activities.
The collaborative Green 2 Go Project aims to assist Vancouver in its goal of reducing landfill bound solid waste by working with city restaurants and the public in dialogue and support in reducing take-out container waste. The project will assist and leverage capacity of existing initiatives in Vancouver, linking efforts through a more centralized approach to encourage and assist businesses and consumers in providing or transitioning to fully reusable, compostable or recyclable alternatives. It will establish solutions based on environment standards, restaurant specific needs and economic considerations. With support from partners, facilitators and
volunteers it will then engage with businesses and the public at large to convey problems posed by conventional take-out containers and assist businesses in the adoption of alternatives.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Green 2 Go Restaurant Waste Reduction Project 5hrs/week
• Project Coordination
o Lead restaurant outreach portion of the project by organizing, finalizing and printing
outreach materials and coordinating with volunteers to disseminate information to
o Measure the impact of outreach to restaurants (may be as simple as asking
restaurants to contact project if they make a switch);
o Lead public outreach portion of the project by launching a take-out awareness
pledge, managing social media outreach, composing articles for SPEC and other
publications and attending local events;
o Finalize Green 2 Go research report, including working with volunteers, Waste
Committee Team Lead and university students to contribute additional research.
o Communicate successes to funders and liase with project partners
o Monitor budget and coordinate with SPEC’s Administrative Coordinator
o Create a working list of local restaurants using/welcoming use of sustainable takeout
packaging – potential to create a smartphone App with volunteer; SPEC Waste Committee Coordination 1 hr/week
The coordinator is required to help coordinate and attend meetings, which occur once monthly in the evenings at Mount Pleasant Community Centre.
• Assist with coordination and chairing of meetings;
• Assist with volunteer coordination within the committee;
• Assist with building a strategy for ongoing and new projects;
• Lead design, delivery and advertising of waste reduction workshops/lunch and learns;
• Build financial stability of the committee through seeking and writing grants or other means.
• Strong interest and experience in local waste reduction;
• Experience leading projects and coordinating volunteers including managing a budget;
• Comfortable working under minimal supervision;
• Enjoys working on a wide range of tasks and is able to improve working procedures;
• Self-motivated, highly adaptable and organized;
• Possesses public speaking or outreach skills;
• Able to identify and prioritize multiple tasks;
• Sound experience with social media;
• Superior writing and communication skills;
• Excellent people skills; ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact as a representative of SPEC;
• Passionate about environmental issues;
• Graphic or web design experience;
• Research experience;
• Experience with giving workshops;
• Able to accommodate a fairly flexible schedule.
Please forward your resume quoting “SPEC Waste Coordinator” by Friday August 9 2013 to
We thank all applicants for their interest in SPEC.
However, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.