Youth Program Facilitator, Evergreen BC
Location: Vancouver, BC
Application Deadline: July 5th, 2013
Start Date: As soon as possible
Term of Contract: Term-limited, position – up to 8 weeks in total. 2 weeks (Aug 12th – 23rd) M-F, 9-5; remaining 6 weeks may be performed on a flexible schedule (up to 40 hrs/week).
Overview: Evergreen’s BC office in Vancouver is looking for a skilled youth worker/facilitator to lead our summer Architects of a Green Legacy program. This two-week program engages 20 youth in a series of workshops and capacity-building activities, culminating in a hands-on project designed to improve green space on the Britannia campus in East Vancouver. Participants will gain skills in project development, anti-discrimination, and placemaking.
- Finalizing workshop curriculum and activities
- Recruiting youth participants
- Liaising with community partners on-site, including teachers and Community Services Centre staff
- Coordinating program logistics (space, food, materials, scheduling)
- Leading youth participants in daily activities (4 hours each day for 10 days)
- Planning end-of-program celebration and fall reunion
- Collecting data from youth participants on program components and providing recommendations to Evergreen Community Development staff
- Documenting project and assisting in reporting to funders
- Working with Evergreen Landscape Architects to lead students in building outdoor classroom structures
- Facilitation. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to facilitate activities with larger (20) and smaller groups of youth.
- Project Management. The successful candidate must be able to manage the project from start to finish, including the coordination of multiple on-site partners.
- Youth Development. Candidates must have experience working with youth to discover and develop their own skills and talents.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Experience leading activities with a youth audience and/or teaching youth
- Prior experience working with at-risk adolescents, youth of diverse backgrounds
- Previous work planning and executing projects and events
- Familiarity with Evergreen’s mission and work (an asset)
- Experience building community/youth capacity through employment or volunteer work
- Post-Secondary degree/diploma in relevant field (education, social work, urban studies, youth work, etc.), or equivalent experience.
- This position will require working at the Britannia campus in East Vancouver, M-F, for two weeks in the summer.
- Work prior to program commencement, work maybe done from home and/or the Vancouver Evergreen office
- Many activities will take place outside; Facilitator may be required to use and/or supervise the use of hand/power tools.
Compensation: $18/hour; 40 hrs/week X 8 weeks.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference “Youth Facilitator” in the subject line.
By Mail to Evergreen, 35 West 5th Avenue, Suite 233, Vancouver BC V5Y
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.