SUMMER JOB / SUMMER STUDENT POSITION
Position: Community Garden and Orchard Assistant
Organization: Evergreen www.evergreen.ca
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
The Community Garden and Orchard Assistant will work with the Sustainability Project Manager and volunteers to deliver programming and maintain Evergreen’s urban agriculture sites within Metro Vancouver.
• Assist in the creation and delivery of food-growing and nutrition workshops at Evergreen’s multiple Seeding Healthy Communities urban agriculture sites
• Conduct outreach and build relationships with community partners to ensure diverse participation in the program and cultivate long-term stewardship of garden and orchard sites
• Develop communication materials and attend public events to promote food programming, and maintain an active presence on social media
• Coordinate group events and workshop logistics at program site
• Maintain the Urban Orchard and support general upkeep of gardens
Skills and Qualifications:
• Prior work or training in community agriculture or fruit tree cultivation desired
• Experience organizing events and workshops essential.
• Knowledge of sustainable food systems, pest management, nutrition, or working with youth and seniors desired
• Strong verbal and written communication skills essential
• Ability to take initiative and engage in self-directed learning required
• Familiarity with social media tools an asset
To apply, you must:
• Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
This is a term-limited (mid-May through August) contract, and conditional upon Evergreen’s partnership with Service Canada. Successful applicants will be required to work 38 hours/week, at $13.50/hour. Some weekend work may be required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Mail: 233- 35 West 5th Avenue, Vancouver, BC. V5Y 1H4
Deadline for submission is May 6, 2013
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their time but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.