Title: Online Community Facilitator
As an organization, OpenMedia is at a crucial point in its development. With the game-changing success of the last two years, our support base has grown exponentially; we are looking for someone capable of using social media platforms to more deeply engage our community in the global Internet freedom movement, and to further grow our networks.
The Online Community Facilitator plays a key strategic and supportive role in our organization, working directly with the Executive Director and the Communications Manager from our office in Vancouver, BC (strongly preferred) or remotely.
This person will start stimulating conversations online, and tell our story by producing and sharing compelling graphics and viral content. These conversations should move people to advocacy and action in support of OpenMedia’s mission.
The chosen candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing and executing a social media/content plan, including adding to our Best Practices for the use of social media by testing various approaches & strategies and refining based on their success or failure. Tracking Social Media analytics and reporting on lessons learned each week.
- Brainstorming creative visual ways to engage our community in digital rights issues – responding to complex policy developments with simple share images and interactive outreach that maximizes opportunities for our supporters to participate in crafting their own messages & images. Leading in the creation of shareable graphics.
- Identifying particularly engaged supporters, reaching out to related online communities, and finding new people and groups to expand and deepen our social media presence.
- Communicating complex issues in understandable and engaging ways – curating content for our social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Pinterest, YouTube) and framing it to maximize our community’s knowledge of & active engagement with Internet freedom issues.
- Facilitating our community discussions – promptly responding to supporter input & questions, bringing forward under-represented perspectives, and making people feel included & valued.
- Communicating our social media community’s perspectives back to the OM core team and ensuring that their perspectives are well-understood and respected by the OM core team. Curating content from crowd-sourcing initiatives.
- Monitoring and evaluating news related to OM’s mission and campaigns and adding to, tracking, and revising relevant content to repost on our website.
- Using news monitoring and content shared by OM’s online community to make content production recommendations.
- Expanding the pro-Internet community and engaging with related organizations in the Canadian and international pro-Internet communities
- Researching, learning about, and tracking key/timely issues regarding telecommunications, digital policy and events, the Internet, and more, in order to make informed contributions to social media conversations.
- Excellent graphic designer & writer with particular skill in making complex ideas and issues more accessible and engaging
- 2+ years experience working in communications with a particular focus on social media; experience in non-profit and social-mission sector organizations an asset
- Good knowledge of telecom and digital policy issues in Canada and abroad, including copyright and privacy
- Passion for the open Internet
- Experience with social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Pinterest, and YouTube
- Quick learner, able to grasp new tools, trends, and technologies quickly and thoroughly; able to learn and use OpenMedia’s existing tools, as well as suggest and employ new tools
- Flexible work style: able to work with complete autonomy, to manage a team – whatever the project requires
- Experience participating in forums and social news websites like Reddit or Slashdot
- Access to a wireless-enabled laptop with graphic design software (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc.)
- Experience using Drupal CMS highly desirable
- Videography skills highly desirable
- We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal persons, women, LGBTQ-identified persons, members of a visible minority, and persons with a disability
We’re looking for someone with the following qualifications:
Six-month contract with strong possibility of permanent position. $2800+ per month, based on experience.
Closing Date: This position will remain open until we find the right candidate.
Please send your complete CV with your name as the title of the document and one graphic design that best reflects your style & skills to email@example.com with the position you are applying for as the subject of the email. DO NOT SEND YOUR PORTFOLIO. You will not be considered for this position unless you send your best graphic design with your application.
Do not include an attached cover letter; instead, simply include a few lines (no more than 200 words) about your passion for this work in the body of the email. Don’t skip this – it’s a crucial opportunity to distinguish your application from a hundred others.