The City of North Vancouver needs YOU for our Green Can Outreach Team!!
The City of North Vancouver is looking for candidates to increase awareness of and participation in the City’s Green Can Collection Program. Door to door outreach to approximately 6000 homes will be conducted from May 4 to 29, 2013.
Residents can now put ALL food scraps – including meat, fish, bones, dairy, pasta, bread and food-soiled paper – in the Green Can along with yard trimmings for weekly curbside collection. Considering that up to 40% of household garbage consists of food scraps, this program provides a significant way for residents in houses and duplexes to reduce waste sent to landfill. This change is being made to prepare for the regional landfill ban on food scraps and yard trimmings, which comes into effect by 2015.
We need your help to motivate and educate residents on how to participate in the Green Can Program. We’re seeking community-minded people who want to make a difference and help City of North Vancouver residents understand the importance of participating in the food scraps collection program. Strong intercultural communications are required and the ability to speak a second or third language is a bonus! Familiarity with North Vancouver neighbourhoods is also an asset.
The Work. Candidates will be trained in advance and will work in pairs for each shift (dates outlined below), which will last a maximum of four hours. Teams will engage residents in neighbourhood-based door-to-door outreach. A 13 session minimum commitment is required of candidates as well as mandatory training on May 4th (3:30 to 5:30pm in North Vancouver); an estimated 15 shifts will be available between May 4 to 29, 2013. Sessions will occur weekday evenings from 4:30-8:30 pm and midday Saturday’s on these dates: May 6-8, 11, 13-16, 21-23, 25, and 27-29.
- Get paid $15 per hour for each hour worked
- The fun and satisfaction of helping North Vancouver increase their participation in food scrap diversion and inspiring others to live sustainably.
- Meet like minded individuals and North Shore residents in an on-the-ground outreach effort to raise awareness and build community.
- Gain meaningful, sustainability-related work experience.
To Apply. In the text of an email, please provide information in this numbered list format:
1. Your name
2. Your email
3. Your phone
4. Your home address
5. Indicate your availability based on dates outlined above (e.g. that you can meet the required work commitment). Again, noting that the May 4th, paid training session is MANDATORY and that you must be able to commit to a minimum of 13 sessionsover the course of the project.
6. Languages spoken
7. Explain why you would like to be a Green Can Outreach participant and how your previous outreach and/or sustainability experience prepares you to engage a diverse range of North Vancouver residents (4 lines maximum).
8. Note how you learned about this opportunity
Please submit your application responses to Outreach Coordinator, Liz Blakeway at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, April 21, 10 pm. Spaces are limited, apply now!
For More Info. Contact Liz Blakeway at email@example.com