Organization: Coquitlam Farmers Market Society http://www.makebakegrow.com
Location: Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody), Greater Vancouver, British Columbia
The Coquitlam Farmers Market Society invites applications for the Market Manager position. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Market Manager is responsible for the smooth operation and promotion of our weekly, outdoor Farmers Markets.
About the Coquitlam Farmers Market Society:
Coquitlam Farmers Market Society (CFMS) is a non-profit, volunteer driven organization and is one of the longest running suburban farmer’s markets in the Lower Mainland, our beginnings rooted in a community economic development project initiated by SFU students in 1996.
On Market Day:
• Manages Summer Markets
– May-October attends 3 – 4 weekly Sunday markets (7am-2pm)
– June-September attends 3 – 4 weekly Friday markets (1pm-8pm) (pending approval)
• Facilitates the set up of the Market including: determining tent layout, assembling tents, tables, banners, and other Market day materials
• Manages vendors: directing vendors to their locations, collect fees and handle vendor queries
• Manages Market staff and volunteers; community group participants; and entertainers
• Provides Market information to shoppers and vendors; and positively handles concerns and queries
• Positively represents the Coquitlam Farmers Market Society to the community.
Beyond Market Day
• Vendor management : maintain schedule, create monthly newsletter, answer queries, recruit new vendors
• Marketing and communications: create and implement plan to promote farmers market and pocket market activities
– Creates monthly newsletter, maintains website, manages social media presence
– Creates event / program promotional materials
• Assist with special event planning
• Responds to general inquiries and maintains media binder
• Represents the CFMS at community events in the Tri-Cities
• Works from home office
We are looking for someone who:
• Has excellent management abilities and strong marketing skills
• Enjoys working in a fast paced environment, has a passion for local food, and enjoys being outside in all weather conditions
• Has an interest and/or experience in community development and is familiar with the not-for- profit sector
• Is self directed, reliable, responsible, and works collaboratively as part of a team
• Can handle conflict situations with sensitivity
• Can manage others and delegate tasks appropriately
• Has excellent written and oral communication skills
• Has regular access to a computer, printer, and email
• Is computer literate, with good working knowledge of basic software applications (Word, Excel)
• Can lift up to 10 kg of equipment
• Has a valid BC drivers license, and access to a reliable vehicle to bring market day items to market, and to use when posting signage with the surrounding community
• Familiarity with the Tri-Cities area an asset
Term of Contract:
The market manager position is to cover a maternity leave until mid-June, this position will then transition into a marketing and communications position.
• 20- 25 hours per week, March 20 — June 15, 2013; 15-20 hrs per week June 15 — Oct 31, 2013. There may be possibility of extending this position throughout the winter market season
Compensation $12- $15/hr + 4% vacation pay
Please forward a cover letter and resume, describing how your background/experience meets the above criteria by March 11th, 2013 by email to
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at http://GoodWork.ca .