The Out in Schools program is a unique, media-based high school outreach initiative working toward the promotion of safer and more inclusive learning environments across BC. In particular, Out in Schools is focussed on curbing incidences of homophobia-based bullying and violence.
Out in Schools is presented by Out On Screen, a professional queer arts organization and registered charity whose vision is to celebrate and advance queer communities through cultural expressions.
Since 2004, Out in Schools has reached nearly 35 000 young people across BC through our classroom workshops and film presentations. Our team of experienced facilitators are passionate about making a positive impact in our schools and at engaging young people in the process.
About the Position:
The Out in Schools Facilitator position is a casual, part-time contract opportunity. Successful candidates will be responsible for delivering classroom presentations to high school students and will lead facilitated discussions related to LGBTQ issues, homophobia and media critique and analysis. The incumbent should be between the ages of 19 – 30 years of age and will have previous experience working with youth. Facilitators will commit to working 100 hours per annum, with a flexible schedule, and will report to the Out in Schools Program Coordinator.
- Deliver Out in Schools workshop presentations to high school and middle school-aged youth
- Facilitate post-film dialogue on LGBTQ issues to as many as 400 students at one time
- Be a positive resource and role model for LGBTQ and allied communities
- Prepare and update film and PowerPoint programs in advance of classroom presentations
- Liaise with educators and school administration
- Be available for regular training and professional development
- Assist with program evaluation
- Participate at special events and fundraisers
- Minimum 2 years experience working with youth and/or organizations which support youth
- Must be a confident and experienced public speaker and presenter
- Teaching or other relevant experience working in the field of education is a strong asset
- LGBTQ and community-based social profit sector work experience is an asset
- Strong knowledge of film and media is an asset
- Must be comfortable using basic presentation technology and software, including projectors, PowerPoint, Prezi
This is a year-round, casual contract position based on 100 hours per annum, at $25 per hour. The position runs from February 4, 2013 to December 31, 2013.
- Start date February 4, 2013
- Incumbents should be between the ages of 19 – 30, as of the application deadline
- Successful candidates must be available to work flexible hours and willing to travel throughout Metro Vancouver
Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format, to email@example.com by Monday, January 14, 2013. Please indicate “OIS Facilitator Position- YOUR NAME” in the subject line.