The Vancouver Economic Development Commission (VEDC) is seeking an experienced communications and media professional with excellent communications, media and social media skills to serve as the team’s Communications Manager.
As the economic development agency of the City of Vancouver, VEDC works to strengthen the city’s economic future by helping existing businesses, attracting new businesses, researching economic and business issues, and making policy recommendations on managing the local economy in a global environment. The agency’s current priorities include:
- Work with public and private sector partners to enhance the economic and business climate in the city, with a strong focus on social and environmental values;
- Deliver best practices in business retention, expansion and attraction initiatives, in conjunction with VEDC’s partners at City Hall, other levels of government, regional partners and others;
- Develop and implement strategies to strengthen Vancouver as a global business centre;
- Strengthen the local network of businesses, industry associations, post-secondary institutions, financial institutions and others involved in economic development.
The successful applicant will work as part of the VEDC team to deliver strategies and programs for the production and dissemination of information about VEDC’s work and ongoing results to a wide variety of local and international audiences including media, clients and partners. A particular focus will be on building strong relationships with local media that cover economic and business issues.
Reporting to the CEO, the Communications and Media Manager will work closely with many partners, including officials at Vancouver City Hall. Duties include:
- Developing a strong and proactive communications strategy and work-plan that makes excellent use of multi-media and social media tools, to build public awareness of VEDC’s events, reports, advocacy and activities;
- Producing digital and printed materials and tools for VEDC’s ongoing work, including inbound and outbound missions, special projects and events;
- Producing special presentations, content and delivery models for exciting and effective presentations on VEDC’s work;
- Developing and implementing a strategy to enhance and continually update VEDC’s web and social media presence;
- Pro-actively cultivating excellent relations with local, national and international media, media professionals and agencies;
- Working closely with VEDC’s event team to organize and executive all media events and related materials, including those in partnership with other lower mainland municipalities.
Professional Qualifications and Skill Requirements
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Graduate diploma or degree in communications, media, journalism and related multi-media disciplines;
- At least five years of professional experience in business communications and media relations;
- Exceptional business communications skills, both written and verbal, including written documents such as communiqués and proposals, materials design, presentation and social media applications;
- Experience working with economic development and government agencies;
- Strong knowledge of local business issues and of local media outlets;
- Proven experience in dealing successfully with all types of media on business issues, and managing in a high performance environment;
- Strong background in developing and implementing web and social media strategies;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to foster collaboration with diverse partner organizations;
- The ability to learn quickly, self-manage and maintain high productivity in a fast-paced and evolving environment with hard deadlines;
- Proficiency with multi-media and design tools including media and design software programs.
This is a full-time, permanent position that offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package. Interested applications are to send a resume, including a cover letter, to email@example.com no later than 4:00 pm Pacific Time, Thursday, March 31, 2011.
For information on VEDC: www.vancouvereconomic.com