Hours of Work:
|Museum Assistant – Education
Recreation Culture and Parks – Langley Centennial Museum
Non-standard Hours and/or Non-standard Work Weeks
$18.90 – $22.08 per hour plus 12% in lieu of benefits
Approximately May 16 to approximately September 2, 2011 (12 to 16 weeks – dependent on funding)
Applications are currently being accepted from a dynamic and committed individual to fill a temporary full-time Summer Career Placement for a Museum Assistant – Education from approximately May 16 until approximately September 2, 2011 (dependent on funding).
1. Duties and Responsibilities
As a student employee in the recreation Culture and Parks Division of the Township of Langley, the incumbent will work on short-term projects at the Langley Centennial Museum & National Exhibition Centre. Summer Education projects will be aimed at enriching public programming – for children, families, and school groups thereby increasing participation at our Museum.
The Museum Assistant – Education will be engaged in the following:
- Present One Day Wonder Programs and Day camp programs throughout the summer to children 6 – 12 years and develop themes and activities for Heritage themed programs to be delivered in 2011.
- Working with the Educator, review and revise as needed existing school programs to accommodate changes in the BC Curriculum established by the Ministry of Education.
- Update the Teaching collection inventory by cataloguing new acquisitions. This will facilitate not only use within the existing school programs but also the development of school and community traveling trunks which are planned for the near future.
- Participate in, and supervise youth volunteers at, a variety of community outreach events including parades and other special community events.
- Co-host and participate in a professional development day orientation at the Museum for local teachers.
- Assist the Educator in designing new school programs for implementation in the 2011/2012 school year.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
2. Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills required for this position include:
- University student in third or fourth year of study, with courses in Education, and a background in History, Fine Arts, Museum Studies, or other related field.
- Computer skills, including experience using word processing, is required; some knowledge of Access, PowerPoint, Excel and desk top publishing would be an asset.
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, preferably with some experience in public relations or customer service.
- Previous experience in a Museum environment would be an asset.
3. Position dependent on funding and the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a Canadian student, legally entitled to study and work in Canada, preferably returning to school and between the ages of 16 to 30 and willing to commit to a work assignment up to 16 weeks.
If you possess the required qualifications, knowledge and skills, as well as, meets all the eligibility criteria, please send your résumé and cover letter, quoting bulletin #B021, in confidence to:
Human Resources Division, Township of Langley
20338 – 65 Avenue, Langley, BC V2Y 3J1
Fax #: 604.533.6129
These positions are defined by the Township of Langley as positions of trust (Child Safety) and require a criminal record check.
The closing date for this competition is by 4:30 p.m. Friday March 25, 2011. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Langley Centennial Museum is a community museum located in Fort Langley, British Columbia. www.langleymuseum.org
9135 King Street, Fort Langley, BC